|PACKAGES||Clip : HIGH BAND|
|"Take a look at the height of this waterfall! "|
Milho Verde was mentioned as town belonging to the village of Santo Antônio do Bom Retiro do Serro Frio, current city of Serro, since 1711 but, only on July 9, 1868, it was officially considered district of this city. The name would have appeared because of the plowings there, that belonged to Manoel Rodrigues Milho Verde, born in Moinho, Portugal.
During the 80's, the peacefulness of the place together with its rich nature attracted hippies and residents of big cities and of the surroundings, interested in a simpler life. Then, the town began to also attract tourists of those same places and it created an infrastructure to receive them. Nowadays, the native ones live practically on the tourism, the most profitable activity of the town.
|"That chapel has already been layer of a lot of LPs|
"Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres" Mother church - Built in the 18th century by captain José Moura Oliveira, the Mother church is protected by IEPHA-MG (State Institute of the Historical and Artistic Patrimony) since May of 1980. Made of wood and mud, it has a simple facade, without ornamentations. It the caracteristics of the chapels built in the colonial period and it has interesting pieces in its interior, like "Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres" statue, the one of São Miguel and also an unfinished "Pietá".
|"Waterfalls, lots of waterfalls...|
"Nossa Senhora do Rosário" Chapel and Cemetery - no much thing is known of its history, some characteristics of the work indicate that it has been built by devotion of free blacks and slaves of the area during the 19th century. It is on the top of a hill from where one has a charming view of the mountains.
Lajeado - the water that flows on the plated where Milho Verde is, forms Lajeado, a stream with several wells of calm water and white sands, that follows its course with 3 great falls, forming waterfalls and natural swimming pools. The place is at some meters from the district. The access on foot is very easy and by car you reach a very near parking.
"I liked here."
Carijó Waterfall - below, going down the mountain, a few meters from the road that connects Milho Verde and São Gonçalo to Serro, is the waterfall, formed by a small fall of water and a big well of calm waters.
"Cachoeira do Moinho" (Waterfall of the Mill) - it is the biggest waterfall close to the towns. In the holidays and at times of tourist coming a bar is open, maintained by the proprietor, that works at the place. Information on the bar can be obtained at the hotel "Rancho Velho" (Old Ranch)
"Cachoeira do Piolho" (Waterfall of the Louse) - the highway to the waterfall of the Louse begins at the end of Prazeres street and it is at 8 km from Milho Verde. A gate before "Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres" Church mark the beginning of a beautiful walk downhill. There are some very humble communities living at the waterfall surroundings.
Tips by GUSTAVO VIVACQUA
1. Milho Verde is located at 331km from Belo Horizonte.
2. O village is isolated and rustic and for that reason don't expect great comfort.
3. The places to eat are inside of the lodgings. Great restaurants don't exist there. But the food is cheap and tasteful.
4. Peace reigns in this place. I think this sentence summarizes everything in Milho Verde.
5. There are a few public phones and your cell phone wiil probably not work there.
6. Breakfast? Only in the lodgings. You don't have to be accommodated in them. Just enter and pay for the meal. It is cheap and good.
7. The rains begin in October, November and go until until December, with intensity. Starting from January, February the weather gets steadier.
8. Respect the local people and keep the peace of the place unaffected. If you enjoy a heavy nightlife, Milho Verde is the wrong place.
CLICK HERE to send your tip
CLICK HERE TO SEE OTHER BRAZILIAN DESTINATIONS