|PACKAGES||Clip : HIGH BAND|
In the interior of Piauí, nature built seven sandstone sculptures: "As Sete Cidades" (The Seven Cities). Therefore, to preserve the area, the National Park of Seven Cities was created, surrounded by intriguing rocky formations, peaks and scarps.
Of arid climate and low vegetation the park has surprises: at the first city, it is located "Riachão" (Bir Stream) waterfall, with 17 meters of height amid the savanna. At the others, the formations remind war cannons, the outline of the map of Brazil, an elephant and the Tryumph Arch.
The 6.221 hectares of the National Park of Seven Cities, created in 1961, protect one of the most important archeological sites of Brazil, besides geological monuments and several nascents.
The curious rocky formations of the area were divided into seven groups, called Seven Cities, in 1886. The old territory of the tabajara Indians raises the imagination of those who visit it and try to find several shapes on the strange rocks. Another attraction is the registrations of the old inhabitants of that land, probably made by the tabajara tribes that have already inhabited the area, thousands of years ago.
The National Park of Seven Cities is located at the north of Piauí, it belongs to the municipal district of Piripiri. To arrive there, starting from Teresina, proceed by BR-343 highway until Piripiri, which is 26km from the park, by BR-222.
The dispersed rocky formations of the park are divided in seven "cities" fill the landscape. Among the rocks, nascents. The typical vegetation is the savannah, where one can find species like murici (a kind of palm tree), "pau-terra", the palm trees, buriti(another kind of palm tree), carnauba and tucum. Animals: there are mammals like the deer, the fox, the jaguar and mocó, besides reptiles like Iguana and birds like the toucan, the tropical hawk.
POINTS OF INTEREST:
1st CITY - "Olho dagua dos Milagres" Swimming pool , "Pedra dos Canhões" (Stone of the Cannons), "Floresta de Pedras" (Forest of Stones), Sambaíba Trails.
2nd CITY - Tryumph Arch, "Sítio Pequeno da Pedra da Inscrição" (Small Ranch of the Stone of the Registration), "Sítio da Pedra do Americano" (Ranch of the Stone of the American), "Sítio da Mão de Bromélias" (Ranch of the Bromelia Hand) , "Biblioteca" (Library), "Mirante" (Observatory), "Sítio do Camaleão" (Ranch of the Chameleon), "Pedra do Castelo" (Stone of the Castel).
3rd CITY - "Dedo de Deus" (God's finger), "Os Três Reis Magos" (The three Wizard Kings), "Curral de Pedras" (Stone Corral), "Furo Solsticial" , "Mapa do Brasil" (Map of Brazil) , "Pedra do Beijo" (Stone of the kiss).
"Where do I go now? "
4th CITY - "Archete", "Cidadela" (Citadel), "Portal" (Portal), "Grande Muralha" (Great Wall), "Beijo dos Lagartos" (Kiss of the Lizards), "Mapa do Brasil" (Map of Brazil), "Passagem do Índio" (Indian Passage).
5th CITY - "Sítio da Pedra da Inscrição" (Ranch of the Stone of the Registration), "Furna do Índio" (Cavern of the Indian), "Pedra do Imperador" (Stone of the Emperor), "Pedra do Camelo" (Stone of the Camel), "Pedra do Último dos Moicanos" (Stone of the Last Moican), "Grutas do Catirina" (Catirina Grottos), "Túmulo do Filho do Catirina" (Catirina Son's grave)
6th CITY - "Pedra da Tartaruga" (Turtle Stone), "Pedra do Elefante" (Elephant Stone), "Pedra do Cachorro" (Dog Stone)
7th CITY - "Gruta do Pajé" (Grotto of the Medicine man), "Sítio de Pinturas" (Site of the Paintings), "Casario" (Houses)
View Larger Map
Tips by GUSTAVO VIVACQUA
1. The park has a Visitors Help Center, lodging for small groups, areas for camping, restaurant and snack bar
2. In Piripiri, city at 26km from the park, there are hotels and craft stores.
3. The park opens daily, from 8:00 to 17:00, and the entrances cost R$ 3.
4. The visit must begin by the visitors center. There you receive information on the park, choose the transport type and the guide to accompany you.
5. The open area for tourist visitation has about 12 Km of trails. The passages between the points of interest are short, and the high degrees of difficulties are found at the ascent to the observatory, on the path to the Indian Passage and at the descent to the waterfall.
6. If you have the time, visit "Cachoeiras do Urubu" (Vulture Waterfalls) that are considered the Waterfalls of the Northeast.
7. There is an observatory with panoramic view, close to the second city. From there it is possible to watch the whole magnificence of the place.
CLICK HERE to send your tip
CLICK HERE TO SEE OTHER BRAZILIAN DESTINATIONS